One of my favorite things about camping is the food! Picnics, eating outside, and preparing a meal over a campfire always makes it taste better. Sometimes I even make our best camp recipes at home and eat dinner outside with the family.
If you want a hearty, fun meal that everyone will love, try one of my favorites…Cowboy Casserole! It’s easy to prepare, has only a few ingredients and minimal dishes, and is a crowd pleaser. It definitely ticks all the boxes! Try this once and I know it’ll be one of your best camp recipes for years to come, too. You can prepare it over a campfire or the grill. Let’s get started.
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Dutch oven
- ½ pound bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans of baked beans with pork (15 oz each)
- Barbeque sauce
- 1 package refrigerated biscuit dough (7 ½ oz)
- Set your Dutch oven over the campfire or grill. When it’s hot, toss in the bacon and cook until browned. I like my bacon more crispy, but if you like softer bacon, pull it earlier. While bacon is cooking, chop the onion. Once the bacon is done, drain the grease, and cut or tear the bacon into bite-size pieces. Set aside out of reach of anyone who might try to sneak it.
- Add the ground beef and chopped onion to the skillet and cook until meat is fully brown and there are no traces of pink. Drain.
- Add the bacon back into the beef and onion along with the two cans of beans and a splash of barbeque sauce – up to a half cup.
- Bring to a boil, and arrange biscuits in a single layer of the top of the mixture. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Spoon mixture over hot biscuits on plates and serve to a starving posse of people. Giddyup!
What are your best camp recipes that you enjoy when you’re camping? We’d love to hear your favorites! Our campsites are loaded with fire rings and charcoal grills, which makes a recipe like Cowboy Casserole super easy! Contact us today if you have any questions about our camp sites or are ready to make a reservation at Holly Shores Camping Resort.